Chili Con Carne
Time & Servings
25 minutes ready time =
10 minutes preparation +
15 minutes cooking
1 lb. (450 g) extra lean ground beef or ground turkey0Lean Ground Beef Tube 454G$5.65 • Ea
1 medium onion, chopped0Fresh Gourmet Garlic Pepper Crispy Onions Fresh Gourmet Garlic Pepper Crispy Onions Crunchy Toppings (1PK)$3.36 • Ea
1 package Knorr® Sidekicks® Mexican Rice Side Dish
1 can (796 mL.) no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained0Great Value Diced Tomatoes No Salt Added 796ML$1.10 • Ea
1 1/2 cups water0Evian 1.5L$2.79 • Ea
1 can (540 mL) no-salt added red kidney beans, rinsed and drained0Great Value Dark Red Kidney Beans No Salt Added 540ML$0.99 • Ea
6 Tbsp. lowfat sour cream0Gay Lea Sour Cream 14% MF 500ML$2.25 • Ea
1/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese0Great Value Old Cheddar Cheese 450G$6.66 • Ea
1 green onion, thinly sliced0Onions Green$2.23 • Bun
- Brown ground beef with onion in 4-quart (4 L) stockpot; drain, if desired.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, 7 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Garnish with sour cream, cheese and green onion.
- TIP: Spice it up with hot pepper sauce and/or chopped jalapeno peppers!
- Inexpensive and versatile, red kidney beans are nutritional gems. Each serving of this dish is very high in fibre and a good source of iron and vitamin C.