Citrus Herb-Roasted Turkey & Port Gravy
Time & Servings
3 hours 10 minutes ready time =
10 minutes preparation +
3 hours cooking
1 orange, halved0Navel Oranges ~ 10LBS$8.28 • Ea
2 pots Knorr® Homestyle Stock Chicken
1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs *0Mini Cucumbers ~ 907G$5.48 • Ea
2 Tbsp. olive oil0Kirkland Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2L$27.86 • Ea
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, divided0Kirkland Tellicherry Black Pepper Grinder 178G$10.97 • Ea
2 sweet onions, quartered0Mayan Sweet Onions ~ 5LB$8.53 • Ea
10 -lb. turkey, giblets and neck removed0Kirkland Signature Turkey Ground Extra Lean (2PK) ~1KG$25.62 • Ea
1/4 cup port wine0Kokuho Rose Extra Fancy Rice 11.34Kg$30.70 • Ea
1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour0Sunblest Almond Flour Gluten Free 1.36KG$23.17 • Ea
2 Tbsp. heavy cream or whipping cream0Natrel Half & Half Cream 10% 1L$2.67 • Ea
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Squeeze juice from ½ of the orange; set aside.
- Combine 1 pot Knorr® Homestyle Stock - Chicken, herbs, olive oil, orange juice and 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) black pepper in small bowl. Rub mixture under and over turkey skin. Arrange remaining 1/2 orange and onions inside cavity of turkey. Arrange turkey in roasting pan on rack.
- Roast turkey 45 minutes.
- Decrease oven to 375°F (190°C) and roast 1 hour. Baste turkey and turn pan in oven. Continue roasting until meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reaches 180°F (90°C), about 1 hour. Remove turkey from pan and keep warm. Skim fat from pan drippings, then pour drippings into measuring cup. Add enough water to bring total liquid to 2 cups (500 mL).
- To make gravy, add drippings mixture, wine and remaining 1 pot Knorr® Homestyle Stock Chicken to roasting pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Combine 1/4 cup (60 mL) water with flour in small bowl, then stir into pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until gravy is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Strain, if desired. Stir in cream and remaining black pepper. Serve gravy with turkey.
- *Thyme leaves, sage, parsley and/or rosemary
- TIP: If desired, supplement pan drippings with a giblet stock in place of water. To make stock, bring giblets, neck and 4 cups (1 L) water to a boil in saucepan. If desired, add carrot, onion and celery. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour, then strain and use.