English-Style Cod & Potato Pie
Time & Servings
1 hour 25 minutes ready time =
25 minutes preparation +
1 hour cooking
2 lbs. (1 kg) all-purpose potatoes, peeled and chopped in small pieces0Sweet Potatoes Jamaican 1EA$3.45 • Ea
3 Tbsp. (45 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*0Becel Margarine Salt Free 454G$5.15 • Ea
2 cups (500 mL) milk, divided0Natrel Lactose Free 2% Milk ~ 2000 ml$5.86 • Ea
1 cup (250 mL) sliced mushrooms0President's Choice Oyster Mushrooms ~ 100 g$4.04 • Ea
1 small onion, finely chopped0Green Onions (Scallions) 1EA$1.37 • Ea
1 package Knorr® Alfredo Pasta Sauce Mix
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed0No Name Thyme Leaves ~ 45 g$2.42 • Ea
1 bag (250 mL.) frozen green peas0President's Choice Petite Peas ~ 750 g$4.04 • Ea
1 Tbsp. dry sherry
1 1/2 lbs. cod or haddock fillets, cut into 2.5cm pieces0Quality Chocodate Exclusive Milk Chocolate Pouch ~ 225 g$9.27 • Ea
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Cover potatoes and garlic with cold water in large saucepot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes; drain.
- Beat potatoes, 30 mL Becel® Buttery Taste margarine* and 125 mL milk with electric mixer on low speed or with potato masher until smooth.
- Evenly spread mashed potatoes on bottom and up sides of 1.5 L baking dish; set aside.
- Melt remaining 15 mL margarine in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook mushrooms with onion, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in remaining 375 mL milk, Knorr ®Alfredo Pasta Sauce mix and thyme and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in peas and sherry. Simmer 1 minute.
- Arrange cod on potatoes in prepared baking dish. Season, if desired, with black pepper and a squeeze of lemon. Pour sauce mixture over cod. Bake 40 minutes or until cod flakes with a fork and bubbling.
- To add extra savoury flavour to your mashed potatoes, add 2 whole cloves of garlic to the cooking water and mash them with potatoes.
*Becel® Buttery Taste margarine* is *Becel® Gold in Quebec
- Each serving of this dish is low in fat and a good source of fibre and calcium.