English-Style Cod & Potato Pie
Time & Servings
1 hour 25 minutes ready time =
25 minutes preparation +
1 hour cooking
2 lbs. (1 kg) all-purpose potatoes, peeled and chopped in small pieces0Sweet Potatoes ~ 5LB$8.03 • Ea
3 Tbsp. (45 mL) Becel® Buttery Taste margarine*0Becel Margarine Original (2PK) 2.44KG$10.36 • Ea
2 cups (500 mL) milk, divided0Natrel Lactose Free Partly Skimmed Milk 2% 2L$5.60 • Ea
1 cup (250 mL) sliced mushrooms0White Whole Organic Mushrooms ~ 1.5LB$6.70 • Ea
1 small onion, finely chopped0Yellow Onions ~ 10LB$7.31 • Ea
1 package Knorr® Alfredo Pasta Sauce Mix
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
1 bag (250 mL.) frozen green peas0Family Tradition Organic Peas Frozen 2.5KG$12.19 • Ea
1 Tbsp. dry sherry
1 1/2 lbs. cod or haddock fillets, cut into 2.5cm pieces0Cape Cod Kettle Cooked Potato Chips Original 680G$7.31 • Ea
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Cover potatoes and garlic with cold water in large saucepot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes; drain.
- Beat potatoes, 30 mL Becel® Buttery Taste margarine* and 125 mL milk with electric mixer on low speed or with potato masher until smooth.
- Evenly spread mashed potatoes on bottom and up sides of 1.5 L baking dish; set aside.
- Melt remaining 15 mL margarine in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook mushrooms with onion, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in remaining 375 mL milk, Knorr ®Alfredo Pasta Sauce mix and thyme and simmer, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in peas and sherry. Simmer 1 minute.
- Arrange cod on potatoes in prepared baking dish. Season, if desired, with black pepper and a squeeze of lemon. Pour sauce mixture over cod. Bake 40 minutes or until cod flakes with a fork and bubbling.
- To add extra savoury flavour to your mashed potatoes, add 2 whole cloves of garlic to the cooking water and mash them with potatoes.
*Becel® Buttery Taste margarine* is *Becel® Gold in Quebec
- Each serving of this dish is low in fat and a good source of fibre and calcium.