Grilled Eggplant Caprese Salad
Time & Servings
25 minutes ready time =
15 minutes preparation +
10 minutes cooking
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) olive oil, divided0Aurora Tarallini Olive Oil 300G$4.23 • Ea
1 Knorr® OXO® 25% Less Salt Chicken Bouillon Sachet
1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1 cm thick rounds0White Toque Chocolate Croissants 350G$7.41 • Ea
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar0Bertolli Vinegar Balsamic Of Modena 500ML$5.07 • Ea
2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion0Onion Yellow Cooking 10LB$3.38 • Ea
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped0Garlic Red 1EA$1.58 • Ea
1/2 tsp. sugar0Mr. Christie's Sugar Cones 141G$3.60 • Ea
2 large tomatoes, sliced0Molisana Tomatoes Cherry 398ML$1.89 • Ea
4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced0Fromagerie L'Ancêtre Cheese Mozzarella Organic 200G$14.34 • Ea
1/4 cup very thinly sliced fresh basil leaves0Basil Sweet 1EA$2.25 • Ea
- Combine 15 mL olive oil with Knorr® Oxo® 25% Less Salt Chicken Bouillon Sachet in small bowl. Evenly brush onto both sides of eggplant. Grill or broil, turning frequently, until tender; cool.
- Meanwhile, bring vinegar, onion and garlic to a boil over high heat in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Cool slightly, then stir in remaining 15 mL oil. Cool to room temperature.
- Alternately layer eggplant, tomatoes and cheese on serving platter. Sprinkle with basil, then drizzle balsamic reduction.
- For less fat, try using partly-skimmed mozzarella cheese instead of regular varieties.
- Each serving of this salad provides 1 serving of vegetables and is a good source of fibre and calcium. *See Nutrition Information for saturated fat content.