Grilled Eggplant Caprese Salad
Time & Servings
25 minutes ready time =
15 minutes preparation +
10 minutes cooking
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) olive oil, divided0Kirkland Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2L$24.67 • Ea
1 Knorr® OXO® 25% Less Salt Chicken Bouillon Sachet
1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1 cm thick rounds0Burnbrae Eggs Large White (30PK) 1EA$6.79 • Ea
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar0Kirkland Balsamic Vinegar 1L$16.19 • Ea
2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion0Yellow Onions ~ 10LB$7.55 • Ea
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped0La Maison Fresh Garlic Caesar Dressing & Dip 1.4L$7.55 • Ea
1/2 tsp. sugar0Wrigley's 5 Cobalt Sugar Free Chewing Gum Cooling Peppermint Blue (10PK) 150 Sticks$13.71 • Ea
2 large tomatoes, sliced0Sweet Grape Tomatoes ~ 2LB$7.55 • Ea
4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced0Saputo Deluxe Pizza Mozzarella Cheese Shredded 1KG$17.27 • Ea
1/4 cup very thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Combine 15 mL olive oil with Knorr® Oxo® 25% Less Salt Chicken Bouillon Sachet in small bowl. Evenly brush onto both sides of eggplant. Grill or broil, turning frequently, until tender; cool.
- Meanwhile, bring vinegar, onion and garlic to a boil over high heat in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Cool slightly, then stir in remaining 15 mL oil. Cool to room temperature.
- Alternately layer eggplant, tomatoes and cheese on serving platter. Sprinkle with basil, then drizzle balsamic reduction.
- For less fat, try using partly-skimmed mozzarella cheese instead of regular varieties.
- Each serving of this salad provides 1 serving of vegetables and is a good source of fibre and calcium. *See Nutrition Information for saturated fat content.