Hearty Lentil Stew
Time & Servings
50 minutes ready time =
10 minutes preparation +
40 minutes cooking
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) olive oil0Becel Margarine With Olive Oil 907G$4.49 • Ea
3 medium (0 ) carrots, sliced0Carrots 1 Bunch$2.79 • Ea
3 ribs (0 ) celery, sliced
1 cup (250 mL) lentils, rinsed and drained0Great Value Lentils 540ML$0.99 • Ea
3 cups (750 mL) water, divided0Evian 1.5L$2.79 • Ea
1 pouch Knorr® Recipe Savoury Herb with Garlic Soup Mix
1 Tbsp. (15 mL) cider vinegar or red wine vinegar, (optional)0Great Value Butter Flavoured Canola Oil Cooking Spray 170G$3.13 • Ea
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat and cook carrots and celery, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Add lentils and cook 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups (475 mL) water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes.
- Stir in Knorr® Recipe® Savoury Herb with Garlic Soup Mix blended with remaining 1 cup (240 mL) water. Simmer covered, until lentils are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Serve over hot couscous or rice.
- Serve with whole wheat roti for more fibre.
- Each serving of this stew is low in fat and an excellent source of fibre and iron. *See Nutrition Information for sodium content.