Korean Rice Bowl with Beef (Bibimbap)
Time & Servings
50 minutes ready time =
20 minutes preparation +
30 minutes cooking
1 Knorr® Beef Bouillon Cube(s), crumbled
2 tsp. sugar0Rogers Sugar Granulated 20KG$25.00 • Ea
2 tsp. dark sesame oil
1 lb. boneless sirloin steak, cut into thin strips*0Kirkland Signature Steak Strips Cured & Dried Extra Thick Cut Gluten Free 340G$16.46 • Ea
1 cup EACH matchstick cut carrots, bean sprouts and sliced shiitake mushrooms
2 cups baby spinach leaves0Fontaine Sante Spinach Dip (2PK) 840G$9.75 • Ea
4 tsp. dark sesame oil, divided
RICE & EGGS
3 cups cooked rice**0Kirkland Signature Rice Traditional Basmati 5KG$20.73 • Ea
1 Tbps. plus 1 tsp. dark sesame oil, divided
4 eggs0Kirkland Signature ORGANIC Eggs Large Brown 24PK$13.41 • Ea
- For Beef Bulgogi, combine Knorr® Beef Bouillon Cube, sugar and sesame oil in medium microwave-safe bowl. Cook at HIGH in microwave 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. Add steak and set aside to marinate.
- Meanwhile for Vegetables, cook vegetables separately in large nonstick skillet using 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sesame oil for each vegetable, stirring occasionally, until tender, 2 to 5 minutes. Remove vegetables; keeping them separate. Season, if desired, with salt and pepper; keep warm.
- Next, cook steak in same skillet, in 2 batches, over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until desired doneness, about 2 minutes. Remove; cover and keep warm.
- For Rice & Eggs, continuing in same skillet (rinse or wipe skillet if necessary), heat 1 tablespoon (15 mL) sesame oil over medium-high heat and cook rice, stirring frequently, until rice becomes crispy and slightly browned on about half the rice grains***, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat remaining 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sesame oil in another large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully crack eggs into skillet, keeping yolks intact and cook covered to desired doneness.
- To serve, divide rice into 4 bowls. Arrange beef bulgogi (with juices) on top of rice. Top with vegetables, keeping them in separate mounds. Top each with an egg. Serve, if desired, with hot sauce and/or kimchi.
- *Bulgogi is a Korean dish that consists of marinated beef. To make cutting the beef into really thin strips easier, freeze beef 20 minutes before slicing.
** For 3 cups cooked rice use 1 cup uncooked rice to 2 cups water.
***Traditional Bibimbap is made in a scorching-hot stone bowl, so the layer of rice that touches it turns crispy and golden brown, so cooking step simulates this.
- Each serving of this dish provides 1 serving of veggies and is an excellent source of iron.
Try making this dish with brown rice for added fibre -you won't even notice the difference!