Grilled Eggplant Caprese Salad
Temps & Portions
25 minutes temps de préparation =
15 minutes préparation +
10 minutes cuisson
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) olive oil, divided0Apetina Feta Black Olive Oil Herb 100G$3.49 • Chq
1 Knorr® OXO® 25% Less Salt Chicken Bouillon Sachet
1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1 cm thick rounds0Compliments Eggs Large White 12EA$3.01 • Chq
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar0Compliments Balsamic Vinegar of Modena 500ML$3.27 • Chq
2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion0Onions Vidalia 1EA$1.60 • Chq
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped0Garlic (3PK)$3.19 • Chq
1/2 tsp. sugar0Compliments Sugar Mini Donuts 195G$2.99 • Chq
2 large tomatoes, sliced0Tomatoes Plum Roma 1EA$0.76 • Chq
4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced0Silani Cheese Mozzarella Slices 100G$3.49 • Chq
1/4 cup very thinly sliced fresh basil leaves0Basil 20G$2.69 • Chq
- Combine 15 mL olive oil with Knorr® Oxo® 25% Less Salt Chicken Bouillon Sachet in small bowl. Evenly brush onto both sides of eggplant. Grill or broil, turning frequently, until tender; cool.
- Meanwhile, bring vinegar, onion and garlic to a boil over high heat in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by half, about 15 minutes. Stir in sugar until dissolved. Cool slightly, then stir in remaining 15 mL oil. Cool to room temperature.
- Alternately layer eggplant, tomatoes and cheese on serving platter. Sprinkle with basil, then drizzle balsamic reduction.
- For less fat, try using partly-skimmed mozzarella cheese instead of regular varieties.
- Each serving of this salad provides 1 serving of vegetables and is a good source of fibre and calcium. *See Nutrition Information for saturated fat content.